Okay, when I get comments about my lack of posts and people start finding this blog on The Reddit, that’s usually an indicator that I need to blog more often.
First up, let’s check the git logs since there’s been a lot of activity (~100 commits) over the past week:
- Fullscreen toggling on windows restores correct positioning
- More backlight handling improvements and significant optimization
- Window frame icons now delete themselves when using themes without icons (eg. pixel borders)
- Connman check in first-run wizard now less likely to fail
- EFM now has no icon shadows when renaming
- Application menus/popups/etc once again render shadows as expected
- Drag-n-drop to external applications once again functions as expected
- Internal windows with multiple drop handlers (eg. EFM with navigation toolbar) now accurately drop to the right handler
- Internal windows with multiple drop handlers (eg. EFM with navigation toolbar) no longer leak handlers
- Many improvements to internal input tracking
- Various popups once again show above windows
- Lots of improvements to shaped X client rendering (eg. fucking chromium addon menus; it’s 2014 guys, read up on argb)
- More accurately reset focus when closing various popups
- Lots of improvements to X window stacking accuracy
- Restarts of E19 now preserve window stacking accurately
- …and also re-set focus more reliably
- Mouse cursor cleanups
- Various GTK clients render again after becoming maximized
- Improve accuracy and speed of rendering for X overrides (ie. application menus/popups)
- Slider widget moves in correct direction when up/down keys are pressed
- Pager modules no longer have symbol conflicts and crash when switching between them
- Pager (original) popups are once again visible
- Canvas focus now correctly resets when closing last remaining visible window
- Binding resets now reset according to original parent profile
- EFM has a new option to allow video size clamping in preview popups
- EFM video previews now show resolution
- Urgency state is now set more reliably in various cases
- Sticky windows now function as expected
- Various CPU-intensive features are now frozen while screensaver is active
In vaguely related happenings, EFL 1.8.5, Elementary 1.8.4, Emotion Generic Players 1.8.1, and Enlightenment 0.18.3 releases occurred today. A big thanks to Stefan Schmidt for including the E18.3 release with the others. This release includes all bugfixes which have occurred since the E18.2 release last month, most notably the fix for external DND operations.
During the process of fixing some things last week I was planning on posting a feature article about the process of fixing a “hard” bug, with some screenshots and various ramblings about how much I hate the XSHAPE extension, but it got away from me and I didn’t take screenshots or document anything as I went. Also, I was skeptical that anyone would actually care since the process would take time away from more interesting topics as well as actual bug fixing. Ideally next time I find a funny bug I’ll take some good screenshots to post as bloopers since the last time I posted bloopers it was fairly well received. Articles like this are fun to write since it’s easy to come up with the content.
I was struck by a terrible and interesting idea this morning. I did something similar last January, so perhaps this is a recurring idea that I get every January. Next year may confirm or reject this hypothesis. Anyway, I’ve begun writing full documentation for every configuration option in E. So far, the “Look” category is done, and I’m going to try and do one category each day* until it’s done.
I’ve got a big announcement planned for the end of the week, and I may or may not update the blog before that.
* “Day” here is defined as “time when I remembered that I was documenting configuration options”